If you are tired of paying out the nose for servo extensions, or you can’t find the right length, or just need to replace a damaged connector, these tips and pictures might help.
- Get the right tools! We like the products offered by Hansen Hobbies. They sell crimpers, wire, contacts, and housings.
- Use a wire stripper. James recommends the type that strips all three wires at once, like this one.
- Consider using the latching polarized connectors on all servos, with custom-length extensions for each application.
- Make sure you have good lighting conditions, and magnifiers if needed.
- Strip only about 3mm of insulation.
- Crimp in two stages: First the bare wire, then the insulation.
- Buy extras! If in doubt, re-do it.
Here are some photos showing a connector pin being crimped and placed in the housing: